Monday, May 25, 2009

I Got Me Some Helpers

Today the kids and I slept in a little...it's Saturday, no big rush to get dressed, teeth brushed, that kind of stuff. By 9:00 the neighbor boys were knocking at the door ready to play - my kids are still in their underware, but NO BIGGEE, the neighbor boys come in and play with their DS's while my kids dress, eat quick and brush their teeth. I was feelin' a little like cleaning and Parker mentioned that he would like to EARN some Pokemon cards (latest craze, I've mentioned it before..if you recall, I'm not a fan!). Parker also said that while he was at another friends house the day before, he helped the boy pick up his room and his mom bought him a treat at Wal Mart. Yep, you can already see where this is going. So, I tell the boys (neighbors included) that if they help me with an extra large task (something above and beyond what I already expect the boys to do), I would purchase them each a pack of cards.
WELL! That got them moving! I decided that a GREAT job would be to arrange some of the toys we have in the garage into the appropriate rubbermaid containers! It was pretty fun watching them sort through stuff, find toys that they haven't seen in a LONG TIME, and play a little with them. Ultimately, they arranged them nicely - I supervised (in my jammies because I hadn't had the chance to shower yet!) and it all got done! They were GREAT helpers and definately earned their reward!
Savannah found a lot of things she could cook with - even an apron! In case you were worried that I didn't re-imburse her for her hard work (as Pokemon cards are not fun for her!), she got to pick a treat out too! She ended up with chocolate flavored Goldfish...a "WHOLE BAG that I don't have to share!!" These two cuties were SO EXCITED to have these packs. Not gonna lie, they worked harder than my boys did!
Aiden was a happy camper as well! I wonder if I've started a tradition that's gonna cost me! Oh well...I don't mind! Parker ended up earning his cards a couple of days later...I don't know what the deal is with a 9 year old whining and talking back, but it DOESN'T fly in THIS house!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I could use some helpers too...do they travel? ;)