Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Yep...he's 8

Conversation after bath this evening...

Mom (talking to dad): I've got to get the kids in for their flu shots soon

Dad: Yep

Parker (who happened to be upstairs in a room): comes flying down the stairs - "mom, what do we need to do soon"?

Mom: Don't worry about it Parker

Parker: I don't want to get the Bird Flu or West Nile

Mom (thinking in my head...what the?!?): Parker, we will get you the flu shot and you won't have to worry about it, okay? I just didn't want to tell you because you tend to obsess and freak out about these things. I'm going to take all 3 of you at the same time and I need you to go first and set a good example for your brother and sister"

Parker: Well, mom...tell me this...what if we get immunized (yes, he used that word folks!) for "strand A" of the flu and then we get sick this winter with "strand B"...what happens?

Mom (now I'm thinking "holy shit!" sorry about the profanity!): Well, the United States monitors the country that has their flu season right before we do and they figure out the strand that they are infected with. Then, making an "educated guess", they produce an antibody for the strand the country before us got, or close to it, and that's what we get. We hope that even IF we get immunized for "strand A" but end up getting sick with "strand B" that the immunization may help us a little at least so we don't get so sick....

Mom again: Ummm...where did you hear about this "strand A" and "strand B" stuff?!?!

Parker: Oh, I dunno...I guess I just pick this stuff up....

and with a smile, off he goes to get a snack

All I can say at this point is that I hope and pray that SOMEDAY, all of YOU are blessed with a child like this! He's breathtaking and frustrating all together!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow, what are they teaching in 3rd grade these days?

Fine Girl said...

Hey Laurie...unfortunately, I think it was my influence that caused this interesting conversation! It's SO TRUE that those little ears pick up on EVERYTHING!!

Kara said...

Yes, I have one! His name is Adam. :)