Saturday, April 11, 2009

In Honor of Grams...

My Grandpa Orris used Grams' memorial money to purchase new robes for our church choir. To be honest, I think the choir has used the same robes since I was a baby! These robes are special for many reasons (in addition to the fact that they honor my Grams!): 1. My Grams LOVED music - I have so many memories of her singing (in her almost tenor voice) and dancing...man, could my grams and gramps DANCE! 2. Her favorite color was blue (she was a Detroit Lions fan ALL THE WAY...see the color scheme of the robes?!) - although her favorite color to WEAR was red I recently learned! 3. If you look closely at the cross on the robes, you can see that it is actually a CELTIC cross - the circle behind the cross is a symbol of two things: the sun that the ancient Druids worshipped, and the circle of eternity - the endlessness of God's love. I'm sure you are all aware that my Grams was VERY Irish.

Anyway, last week the choir preformed a contata church service (that's where, for the most part, the entire service is sung - besides the readings of course!) and they wore these robes for the very first time. It was breathtaking...I spent lots of time trying to hold back my tears. I'm sure my Grams was quite proud that day...humming along....as she listened, from her place in heaven, to her daughter (pictured) sing her heart out in these BEAUTIFUL new robes!!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

That is so sweet. I LOVED watching your grandparents dance...melted my heart.