Sunday, July 31, 2011

Baby Birds

We used to have a birds nest right outside our front door on the storm drain.  Chad just HATES swallows and while I'm not a fan of them either, no matter what we try, they just keep coming back!  We've knocked the nest down ~ they come back and build another, we've sprayed crap on the drain ~ they aren't affected, we even knocked the nest down and put a little stuffed animal moose up in the spot!  And yet, they build a nest right next to it!  So, the deal I made with Chad is that he is allowed to keep knocking the nests down unless there are eggs or babies in the nest. 

Unfortunately, the storm that came through with 90 mile an hour winds, knocked the nest down for us and there were babies in there.  The next day, I found the nest in our bushes and when I went to pick it up, I heard little chirps....
 Yep!  There are two babies that are now stranded on the ground!! 
 They are kinda ugly, but babies none the less....we checked on them every day and warned all the neighbor kids NOT TO TOUCH THEM!!  The momma and daddy stay very close at all times. 

As of yesterday, the babies have disappeared....the day before they had moved to the back of the bushes and you could hear them rapidly flapping their wings so I'm hoping they learned how to fly from the ground.  Is that possible!?

No comments: